Best Travel Dog Crate of 2018
Have you been planning a family vacation for ages now and insist that Fido be part of the fun as well? Within today’s portable dog travel crates, your pooch can not only travel in style, but find themself carrying a piece of home wherever in the world you may go.
Advances in design and the adoption of lighter materials have caused quite a stir in the niche.
We’ve taken a closer look at what kind of crates were especially effective at getting your pet from A to B with the fewest difficulties. You can read the intriguing results below.
Top 5 Traveling Crates for Dogs Comparison Chart
Best Travel Dog Crate Reviews
1. Petsfit Soft Dog Crate
First up is an elegant, straightforward crate made by Petsfit. Don’t mistake its rather ordinary look for a lack of must-have features though, as this is a well-rounded crate that brings all the essentials needed for an enjoyable trip with your pet.
A fine crate for the well-behaved dog, Petsfit’s soft dog crate boasts an oxford cloth exterior, three different openings you can either leave exposed, cover with a transparent mesh or zip up tight, and just enough room for the dog to be comfortable in. To make things even more homey, a pad is provided for the dog to rest on which you can machine wash.
It only takes the twist of a few thumb screws to prop the crate up and make it ready for use. When it isn’t needed, the crate just as easily folds down and takes up next to no vertical space. Its lightweight fabric makes the crate easy to transport on its own, while its two handles ensure you’ve got a firm and comfortable grip.
Many dog crates in this price range come with a dedicated carrying case, so it’s too bad that this isn’t one of them. Other than that, and the tendency of its zippers to periodically snag on the fabric, there are no deal-breaking flaws to report.
- Petsfit soft crate is good for pets up to 19",small to medium dogs.
- This travel dog crate is odorless and safe crate to protect your pet's health. TWO doors and top entrance can be rolled up, dimension:30"Lx20"Wx19"H.
- Light weight and sturdy, foldable pet crate.THIS CRATE WORKS FINE FOR AN OPEN BED BUT BOTH GOOD IF YOU ARE TRYING TO USE AS A SECURE CRATE.
- PATENTED screw-in frame design in order to hold the mesh in place, setting up in seconds without tools.
- Removable and washable soft pad gives your pet a comfortable,private place to sleep. Several mesh designs make it good ventilation,clips to secure the zippers.
2. EliteField 3-Door Folding Soft Dog Crate
You don’t want to make the mistake of buying a crate that’s too big – you’ll want just enough room in there for the dog to be able to stand erect and turn, but not get any ideas of doing its business in one corner. This is great advice to follow for most dogs, but what if yours isn’t as regular as others?
That’s where EliteField’s dog crate comes in! It’s been especially designed with a little extra height and width to each of its standard length sizes so that any dog who’d be at just the wrong side of cramped in a normal crate will feel great in it.
Adding to the dog’s comfort are three different openings for it to explore, a side wall with a lot of mesh for increased air flow and a cozy mat you get with the crate free of charge.
Since you’ll probably be hauling your pet around in the crate, it’s great that it has side and top pockets with a lot of space for their favorite toys and other assorted accessories. There’s even a convenient carrying case complete with shoulder strap used to carry the empty crate around.
This crate is practically flawless. A bigger top opening would have been nice, but the pouch you’re getting instead is more than a fair tradeoff.
- Size: 30" long x 21" wide x 24" high; 2" wider and 4" higher than most other brand 30" soft crates, so the EliteField soft crate makes your dog feel more spacious; fully assembled; set-up and fold-down in seconds, no tools needed
- The crate frame is made of strong steel tube; the crate cover is made of high quality durable 600D fabric and hex mesh fabric; a well ventilated, stylish, lightweight and durable crate
- Three mesh doors (on the top, front, and side) for convenience and for sunlight and breathability; two accessory pockets on the top and side; removable and washable cover and bed
- Free carrying bag and fleece bed included; a handle and hand carrying straps on the crate, hand carrying straps and adjustable padded shoulder strap on the carrying bag allow for many carrying options; folded crate with just 3" height for easy transport and storage
- 2 Year Warranty from EliteField, a New York-based Pet Product Manufacturer. The "EliteField" brand is ranked #1 under Amazon's "Soft Dog Crate" category. This can be seen through searching for "Soft Dog Crate" on Amazon. Product Quality Guarantee, 100% Money-Back Guarantee, Customer Satisfaction Guarantee (See important information in "Product Description" section below)
3. Petmate Ultra Vari Kennel
We’ve only discussed soft pet crates so far, but there’s merit to hard plastic ones too. Models like the Ultra Vari kennel are sturdy enough to withstand the onslaught of sharp teeth, are ideal for bathroom training and the possible cleanup which may follow, and can travel with you anywhere in the world
This plastic crate gives you the best of both worlds – it is as sturdy as a metal crate and has a well-built stainless steel door complete with a two-sided latch the dog will find impossible to open. The bars’ spacing both on the door and air vents is finely tuned, so choking hazards won't be an issue.
Portability is a trait the crate shares with soft ones – its smaller iterations will get your dog onboard most planes, while even the largest ones present a convenient way of loading it onto your truck or van. Ventilation is more than adequate, and there’s even a moat on the floor which will accumulate any unfortunate “spills” and make subsequent cleanup much easier.
For some reason, the measurements Petmate lists are only external – there’s noticeably less space for the dog inside. This is also the type of crate you won't exactly be thrilled to have to disassemble as the numerous bolts and associated caps take a while to unscrew.
- Durable plastic shell comes with heavy-duty easy to assemble hardware.
- Convenient tie-down strap holes allow you to zip-tie the kennel together for added security during travel.
- Each kennel features an easy-open squeeze latch and metal side vents to promote healthy air flow.
- Meets most airline requirements. Be sure to check with your airline well in advance of your travels to learn about their individual requirements.
- Recommended for pets up to 23 inches in length and 15 inches tall.
4. Go Pet Club Soft Crate
Sometimes you won't be able to avoid getting caught in a downpour, and that’s when you’ll be glad that your pet has somewhere dry and snug to weather the storm, provided you get the soft crate by Go Pet Club that is.
The ability to serve as an effective storm shelter is this crate’s greatest asset. The polyester it is made of isn’t entirely waterproof, but it does keep the rain from getting inside for a surprisingly good amount of time, giving you enough time to let the dog inside and causing no harm to it if you’re using this as an outside crate and aren’t home at the moment.
The solid material is backed up by metal rods and a lightning-fast zip-up system that allows you to set up the crate in seconds. There’s only one door your dog can enter through, but there are mesh windows on the other three sides which you can zip up or leave rolled up for maximum air flow.
Each side also features a long pocket you can store all manner of useful things inside. Finally, inside the crate is a warm pad topped off with sheep’s wool your dog will love to snuggle up on.
This is a crate that works great with docile dogs, but not so much with active ones prone to bouts of nervousness. The mesh fabric is very flimsy, and your dog could probably chew through it if they set their mind to the task. Another concern to take note of are the bars which have a tendency to jut from out of the fabric slightly if not set up properly.
5. EXPAWLORER Dog Crate
Make no mistake, dog crates get dirty during travel – whether it’s because you’ve been scraping it along asphalt or because all the excitement caused your dog to make a mess, the crate is bound to return home with its fair share of stains.
Wouldn’t it be great if you could just throw the whole thing into the washer and let it do its thing? You can now, with this spiffy crate from Expawlorer.
Their name might be cheesy, but the crate is top notch, for the price you’re going to pay for one. Apart from the fact that it is super hygienic, it’s also spacious enough for your pooch and keeps the feeling of confinement to a minimum with ample meshes and three separate entrances for the dog to make use of.
The fabric it’s made from is durable and rugged. Even curious puppies’ teeth will have a hard time chewing through it, not to mention much smaller issues like snags on branches and rocks you’ll probably never experience while using it.
No carrying bag is included, but since the crate has a set of padded handles that come together in the middle there’s really no need for one either.
While it’s a great travel crate, using it at home doesn’t provide as good an experience – the crate is very light and a more forceful push in one direction may cause it to tip over. As some dogs are fond of energetic play, this is a possibility you need to consider.
Other than that, the individual pieces fit tightly, and it will take a couple more assemblies to loosen them up and streamline the whole process.
- Size Medium: 24 x 16.5 x 16.5 inches. please measure your pet's size to make sure there's spare space than this measurement
- Easy to set up and fold down within a few seconds without tools, you can take it everywhere.
- Have three mesh side, guarantee air circulation and sunlight for your beloved pet dog or cat, reduce barking,stress and anxiety
- High quality fabric, durable, light weight and machine washable, convenient to clean.
- Odorless and safe, necessary for indoor and outdoor activity, a well-made crate for your pet.
Although there were other worthy contenders, EliteField’s crate takes home the win without much effort. More room for your dog to advantage of without crossing the line, three openings, pockets galore… the pros just keep on going.
However, if you have a budget to consider or find plastic crates to be of more use, Expawlorer and Petmate will not disappoint. Happy trails!